Friday, July 12, 2024

Alabama Allocates $11.2 Million to Expand EV Charging Network Across State

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Alabama has unveiled plans to disburse $11.2 million in federal grants aimed at enhancing its electric vehicle (EV) infrastructure. Announced by the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs (ADECA), these funds are part of the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) program initiated by the Biden administration. The objective is to establish 13 new EV charging stations strategically located along major highways and interstates, ensuring comprehensive coverage across designated Alternative Fuel Corridors.

Governor Kay Ivey emphasized the economic advantages of these initiatives, highlighting their potential to bolster local EV industries and create high-paying jobs in Alabama. The NEVI program mandates that each charging station be easily accessible within one travel mile of an Alternative Fuel Corridor, ensuring consistent availability for EV drivers every 50 miles. Furthermore, stations are required to offer round-the-clock public access and essential amenities such as restrooms, food services, and shelter.

Alabama’s allocation of $79 million in NEVI grants from 2022 to 2027 underscores its commitment to developing a robust network of DC fast charging stations statewide. ADECA will oversee the distribution of grants covering 80% of installation costs, with businesses contributing the remaining 20%.

The detailed distribution of funds includes specific allocations for installations in key locations like Falkville, Gadsden, Hamilton, Jasper, and more. These sites have been strategically chosen near major travel routes to optimize convenience for EV users and promote the adoption of sustainable transportation solutions.

This comprehensive initiative positions Alabama at the forefront of EV infrastructure expansion, aligning closely with federal objectives to advance environmental sustainability and reduce carbon emissions nationwide.

- Advertisement -

Subscribe
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here