As the world’s largest electric vehicle market, electric vehicle charging infrastructure is critical.
The China Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Promotion Alliance (EVCIPA), has just published a report announcing China had successfully built 87,000 new public electric vehicle charging stations by May 2022.
In May 2022, EVCIPA reported a total of 1.419 million public electric vehicle charging stations across China, which includes 613 thousand DC charging stations, 806,000 AC charging stations and 485 AC-DC integrated charging stations.
In its report, EVCIPA said public electric vehicle charging stations are mainly used in electric buses and private electric vehicles, while China’s electric logistics vehicles and electric taxis account for a smaller proportion of the transportation power grid.
In May 2022, the national total electricity consumption for charging electric vehicles was around 1.56 billion kWh in a month, an increase of 140 million kWh from the previous month, or an increase of 83.1 percent from the same month last year.
EVCIPA noted that there are top 15 companies in the country that operate electric vehicle charging stations for the public. The 15 operators of electric vehicle charging stations accounted for 92.4 percent of the total public electric vehicle charging stations across the country, and the remaining operators accounted for 7.6 percent of the total figure.