In a press statement, the Swedish automaker stated, “In a few months from now, the last diesel-powered Volvo car will have been built, making Volvo Cars one of the first legacy car makers to take this step.”
The move reflects a remarkable transformation in Volvo's product portfolio. Just a few years ago, in 2019, the majority of cars sold by the company in Europe were diesel-powered. However, by 2022, diesel vehicles made up a mere 8.9% of Volvo's sales in the region.
Recent data from August 2023 indicates a significant surge in the adoption of electric and hybrid models, which accounted for 33% of Volvo's sales during that month. The company did not provide a breakdown of how many of the remaining 67% of sales consisted of combustion-engine models, including both diesel and petrol variants.
The decline in diesel vehicle sales across Europe has been a trend accelerated by factors such as the Volkswagen emission-cheating scandal and a broader industry push towards cleaner technologies. In 2015, diesel cars represented more than 50% of new car sales in Europe, but that figure had dwindled to just over 14% by July 2023.