Tesla has introduced a mobile app integration feature for its Wall Connector chargers, extending its charging infrastructure to electric vehicle (EV) users beyond the Tesla brand. This move aims to provide a more inclusive and convenient charging experience for all EV owners.
Tesla has long incorporated Wi-Fi capabilities into its home charging stations. While it previously offered some functionalities for owners of Destination Charging locations, it didn't significantly enhance the home charging experience, as Tesla provided standard Wi-Fi-enabled features through its vehicle connectivity.
However, with Tesla now welcoming non-Tesla EVs into its charging network, it has recognized the need to grant access to the connectivity of its charging stations. As a result, Tesla has launched the “Tesla App for Wall Connector.”
This new feature allows owners of Tesla Wall Connectors to register their chargers within the Tesla app. By doing so, they gain access to a range of Wi-Fi-enabled features, including the ability to control and schedule charging sessions. Importantly, this functionality is available to both Tesla vehicle owners and owners of non-Tesla electric vehicles.
To register a Tesla Wall Connector on the app, users can follow these straightforward steps:
- Tap the profile picture icon located in the top-right corner of the Tesla app to access the profile menu.
- Select “Add Product” and then choose “Wall Connector.”
- Follow the in-app instructions to scan the Wall Connector's QR code, found in the Quickstart Guide. Users will need to accept a prompt to join the Wall Connector's Wi-Fi network to proceed.
- In case the Quickstart Guide is lost, users can request support through the “Contact Support” option in the Tesla app.
- Connect the Wall Connector to their home Wi-Fi network and follow the remaining in-app steps to complete the registration process. This enables users to monitor real-time charging status and receive the latest software updates seamlessly.
This launch aligns with Tesla's recent introduction of the Universal Wall Connector, a compelling home charging solution for non-Tesla EV owners in North America. As the electric vehicle market continues to expand, Tesla's commitment to enhancing accessibility to its charging infrastructure signifies a positive step towards a more comprehensive and user-friendly EV charging ecosystem.