The Office for Zero Emission Vehicles in the UK has awarded a generous £5.5 million grant to the West Sussex City Council. This substantial funding is set to accelerate the installation of 1,000 electric vehicle (EV) chargers in the region, in collaboration with charge point operator Connected Kerb.
Under this initiative, the grant will cover 60 percent of the total project cost, with Connected Kerb contributing the remaining 40 percent. The ambitious plan includes the deployment of 400 “passive” chargers, which will be poised to activate in response to the growing demand for charging infrastructure. Crucially, all necessary cables and connections will have been pre-installed, streamlining the process for future expansion.
While the exact locations for these chargers, whether passive or active, remain to be determined, it is confirmed that they will be strategically positioned throughout the area. Some will be situated on public streets, while others will find homes in one of the city council's 230 car parks. Notably, the council intends to engage nearly a quarter of a million local households to gather input on the final placement of these charging points.
Councillor Joy Dennis expressed enthusiasm about the grant, stating, “This grant funding is excellent news for the residents of West Sussex. Working in partnership with our supplier, Connected Kerb, and our borough and district council partners, it will significantly bolster our existing scheme to make on-street charging more accessible for residents who do not have off-street parking and boost our efforts to enable sustainable transport options across West Sussex.”